All is quiet as you browse the internet for some food. Then, after Googling ‘Italian takeout’, you see it: Bob’s Spaghetti Palace. Perfect. You click on Bob’s website. Suddenly, you’re jolted back into your chair when ‘That’s Amore’ blares through your laptop’s speakers. At first, you’re unaware of where the song is coming from, but as you scroll a bit — there it is: a music player.
Okay, forcing website visitors to listen to something might not be the way to go. However, there’s a lot more than autoplay when it comes to audio players for WordPress websites.
Adding a WordPress audio player can be beneficial in numerous ways. Whether it be for podcasts, music playlist, introducing a product, and more. We’ll explore all the reasons to include one on your website in this post.
Plus, with the additional assistance of a free audio player plugin, you can amp-up your user’s website experience. I’ll be showing you the latest, up-to-date audio plugins, their features, and specific reasons to use them instead of just the basics that WordPress provides.
As for using audio in the first place, there are many reasons why you should. For example, if you want to:
- Share a welcome message.
- Embed a full recording of a teleseminar or interview into a blog post.
- Publish your latest podcast.
- Share audio testimonials.
- Include audio versions of your content.
- Share a song or playlist you’re listening to from Spotify or some other audio-streaming service.
As you can see, there are ways to use audio to support your site and it doesn’t have to come off as cheesy (possibly mozzarella cheesy?) or unwanted.
Just please: don’t force the autoplay!
On That Note…
You might be undecided about whether or not having audio is a good idea for your website. If so, consider these facts:
- Audio is an intriguing way to draw visitors to a specific element on your site (e.g. a CTA, free download, etc.).
- Like other media, audio can boost SEO by keeping engaged listeners on your site longer.
- Your brand recognition can be improved if you include a particularly unique or memorable audio clip.
- If you’re not great at writing, audio can be a substitute.
- If you’re a singer, in a band, or voice artist, you can use an audio music player to showcase your work — and sell it.
- It’s a way to provide more options on your site for digesting content.
- Interviewed by Oprah? It’s a great way to showcase it for your listeners.
- It adds a human touch if it’s your voice or someone else’s recognizable voice.
- Your audience may want to know and experience what type of music playlist you’re into. This is your chance to have it accessible
This article was written by Nathanael Fakes and originally published on WPMU DEV Blog.