What to look for in the best Canadian web hosting companies
Most of the things you want to look for in a Canadian web host are the same things you would want from any other host:
- 99.95%+ uptime. Every minute your website is down, you are losing money. Any worthwhile web host will be able to guarantee 99.95%+ uptime.
- Good loading speeds. Every second your website takes to load costs you. Look for a host that guarantees fast loading times.
- SSL certification. SSL certification ensures the security of your site and improves your Google ranking. A free SSL should be included with your web hosting plan. If it isn’t already bundled in, it should at least be an affordable add-on; you shouldn’t have to pay a fortune for such an essential feature.
- Free domain name. A website can’t function without a domain. The best Canadian web hosting companies generally offer domains bundled in with their hosting packages for this reason. That said, buying a domain separately will only run you $10-15, so this shouldn’t be a deal breaker.
- Number of websites allowed. Most basic plans only come with one website, but some may allow you to publish two sites or more.
- Ease of use. The control panel should be easy to navigate. One-click install should be available for web apps and content management systems like WordPress. The standard of the industry is for web hosts to use a management panel like cPanel.
- Ease of transfer. If you’re moving a website to a new host, this process should be easy. Look for hosts that offer some level of assistance with website migration.
- Email hosting. An email address that ends in your domain name helps you look professional and avoid spam filters. Your web host should offer at least one free email account.
There are also a couple of location-specific details you want to consider:
- Pricing in Canadian dollars. Keeping all of your expenses in one currency makes things easier when tax season arrives.
- Local servers. This ensures that Canadian customers will always enjoy the fastest loading speeds possible when they visit your website.
- Local customer service. Local customer service centers ensure that someone will be able to help you during your regular office hours.
?? Best Canadian web hosting companies
Here are the companies that have made the list:
1. HostPapa (www.hostpapa.ca)
- $3.95 CAD/month (regular $8.99/month)
- Servers in Canada: ✅
- Canadian customer service: ✅
- Two websites allowed + free domain
- 100GB of SSD storage
- Unmetered bandwidth
- Starter website builder (two pages)
- Free SSL certificate
- Free one-on-one training
This article was written by Dianna Gunn and originally published on CodeinWP.