Our websites are more vulnerable to hackers and brute force attacks than they have ever been. Fortunately for WordPress users, they can protect their WordPress sites by using WordPress Firewall plugins that creates an added layer of security to keep out the bad guys.
However, looking for one isn’t going to be a breeze as there are so many of them, available for free, in the WordPress plugin directory. That’s where I swoon right in and pull out some of the best WordPress firewall plugins that are not only high in quality, but also in demand.
Understanding WordPress Firewall Plugins
Before we begin, you need to know that there are two types of firewall plugins available for WordPress;
1. DNS Level Website Firewall
DNS level website firewall filters your site traffic through their cloud proxy servers. This means that site traffic is checked before it reaches your website sending only genuine users.
2. Application Level Firewall
Application level firewall checks your site traffic after it reaches your website. This means the visitors are not filtered out and bots and malware can still travel to your website before being detected.
I would suggest you go for the DNS Level Website Firewall as it is more effective in recognizing genuine website traffic against bad requests. This is done by tracking thousands of websites, comparing trends, searching for botnets, bad IPs, and blocking on pages users don’t want to see.
Another advantage of DNS level WordPress firewall plugins is that it shrinks the loading time of your WordPress site, typically ensuring that your website does not go down.
So without further ado, here are the most optimal WordPress firewall plugins you should be getting your hands on:
6 Best WordPress Firewall Plugins
1. All In One WP Security & Firewall
Hotlinking and blocks fake Google Bots from crawling to your site. All in One WP Security & Firewall is one of the best WordPress firewall plugins that has earned the love and trust of every WordPress user because of its simple user interface and the fact that it is easy to use, robust, stable and highly supported.
Features That Makes All In One WP Security & Firewall a Great WordPress Plugin:
- Password Strength: This helps users create even stronger passwords that make it hard for hackers and other third-parties to decipher.
- Login Lockdown: You can protect yourself against users with certain IP addresses and ranges based on the configuration settings that you choose. It is ideal for protection against brute force attacks.
- Stop User Enumeration: It is so that users or bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
- Monitor Suspicious Activity: You have the ability to monitor failed login attempts, block out users at will or even simply see which users are logged in to your website.
- Firewall: All malicious scripts will be
This article was written by Moeez and originally published on WPblog.