Selling online courses is one of the best ways to monetize your WordPress site. In this guide to LearnDash vs LifterLMS, I’ll compare two of the top course building plugins to determine the best one based on three criteria:
By the end of this article, you should know whether LearnDash or LifterLMS is the better plugin for you.
Table of Contents
What to look for in a course building plugin
Course building plugins, also known as Learning Management Systems (LMSs), must be flexible to accommodate a variety of course types and business models. Pay special attention to the following features:
- Visual course builder. You shouldn’t need to know how to code to build your courses. Most LMSs accomplish this using a combination of WordPress technology and drag-and-drop visual editors.
- Quiz builder. Most LMSs offer some kind of quiz editor, but the quality of these builders varies greatly from one plugin to the next. If quizzes are an important part of your courses, pay special attention to the options for question types and grading.
- Content dripping. This is the option to stagger the release of lessons. For example, you might want to set lessons to release every Monday, giving students a full week to work through them.
- Certification. Some LMSs allow you to offer completion certificates to students. They may also let you offer badges for students who complete certain sections of a course.
- Community. Most course building plugins allow for some interaction with lessons in the form of comments. Others may offer advanced community options like forums.
- Membership programs. Some course building plugins let you create membership programs for your courses. This is a great way to build a recurring income from your content.
The following features are available with the Basic package from LearnDash:
- One site license
- Unlimited course creation
- Unlimited students
- Course content protection
- Content dripping
- Advanced quiz builder
- Certificates & badges
- Email notifications
- Free integrations
- Demo site template
You can find out more by checking out the LearnDash pricing page.
How to use LearnDash
Setting up LearnDash
You can get started with LearnDash by purchasing one of their plans. You’ll be asked for some basic information, then directed to a page where you can download your plugin.
The plugin will download as a ZIP folder. You can install
This article was written by diannalgunn and originally published on WPKube.