We analyzed 7,051 job postings on Glassdoor and LinkedIn to better understand the current SEO job market.
In this new report you’ll learn:
- Average SEO position salaries
- Skills that employers look for
- How COVID-19 impacted SEO job demand
- Industries that hire the most SEOs
- Lots more
Let’s dive right into our findings.
Highlights and Key Findings:
1. The mean salary for a US-based SEO professional is $60,548 per year.
2. Companies based in CA, CT, NY and NJ pay the highest annual salaries for SEO pros (mean salary of $72.6k/year). Those located in UT, PA and IL pay the least (mean salary of $48.7k/year).
3. SEOs that know how to code get paid more than those that don’t. Specifically, SEO job postings that require knowledge of a specific programming language have a 7.3% media higher salary compared to similar job postings without a programming language requirement.
4. Companies hiring for SEO talent post job titles that contain the terms “Senior SEO manager”, “Head of SEO”, “SEO content writer”, “SEO account manager” and “Marketing manager SEO”, and “SEO digital marketing”.
5. Only 22.9% of SEO job postings are for technical positions (for example, “SEO analyst”). The vast majority (77.1%) are looking for SEO professionals with non-technical skills, like “SEO strategist”.
6. Cities that recruit the highest number of SEO professionals include New York, San Francisco, Austin, Chicago, Atlanta and LA.
7. The most common skills that recruiters look for in an SEO include “marketing”, “content”, “search”, “analytics”, “data” and “tools”.
9. 29.8% of SEO positions require a bachelor’s degree. Only 7% require a master’s degree. And 64.3% don’t have any degree requirements at all.
11. The COVID-19 pandemic didn’t slow down the number of SEO job postings. In fact, postings for SEO positions seemed to slightly increase during the height of the crisis.
12. 63.4% of SEO jobs require experience with a specific tool. The most common tools that employers cite are Google Analytics, SEMrush, Google Search Console, Moz, Ahrefs and Screaming Frog.
The Average SEO Annual Salary is $60,548/Year. Although Salary Varies Significantly By City and State
We used Glassdoor.com to find and analyze salary
This article was written by Brian Dean and originally published on Backlinko.