Not using Perfmatters yet?
It’s a great plugin by Kinsta and one of the few speed plugins I use on my site. This tutorial shows you what it does and how to configure the best Perfmatters settings (while using the script manager to selectively disable plugins, scripts, and styles for better load times + scores).
What about Asset Cleanup Pro?
Asset Cleanup Pro is very similar, but Perfmatters has a more user-friendly UI and seems to be more lightweight with great documentation. In this Facebook poll, Perfmatters is also favored.
*Before configuring Perfmatters, buy the plugin, grab your license key, and add it in the ‘License’ section. Using my affiliate link is appreciated and helps me write these guides.
- Disable Emojis – enable (emojis hurt load times).
- Remove Query Strings – enable (removes URLs with ? or & from static resources which CDNs can have trouble caching, can make small difference, Kinsta says it can only help).
- Disable XML-RPC – enable (unless you post from mobile, otherwise it weakens security).
- Remove jQuery Migrate – disable (enable this setting if you’re not using a page builder).
- Hide WP Version – enable (prevents your WP version from showing publicly).
- Remove wlwmanifest Link – enable (you probably don’t use Windows Live Writer).
- Remove RSD Link – enable (if you edit your site using a browser instead of blog clients).
- Remove Shortlink – enable (especially if you already use shortened, pretty permalinks).
- Disable RSS Feeds – disable (only enable if you don’t have a blog).
- Remove RSS Feed Links – enable (removes unnecessary links in your RRS feed to pages, posts, comments, categories, tags, etc. This will remove a little unused code on your site).
- Disable Self Pingbacks – enable (disables pingbacks when linking to your own blog).
This article was written by Tom Dupuis and originally published on Tom Dupuis.