Looking to improve first contentful paint in WordPress?
Google says FCP measures how long it takes the browser to render the first piece of DOM content after a user navigates to your page. Google scores a “green” FCP if it’s 0–2 seconds.
Run your website through Lighthouse or PageSpeed Insights and look for high-impact opportunities, then reference those specific items in this guide. All should help improve FCP.
1. Eliminate Render-Blocking Resources
- In Autoptimize, enable “optimize + aggregate CSS/JS.”
You can even unload assets from Elementor and other page builders.
First, choose an asset unloading plugin (here’s a comparison of Asset CleanUp vs. Perfmatters). The Perfmatters UI/UX is better but it’s also a premium plugin (it’s what I use). Asset CleanUp Pro can remove custom CSS while Perfmatters (and the free version of Asset CleanUp) do not.
- Disable WooCommerce scripts and styles and non-eCommerce content.
- Enable optimized DOM output and improved asset loading in Elementor.
- Remove unused CSS using RapidLoad (premium plugin from Autoptimize).
- Remove unused CSS using tools (PurifyCSS, Unused-CSS, UnCSS,
This article was written by Tom Dupuis and originally published on Tom Dupuis.