Choosing an eCommerce platform is quite a challenge these days because of the availability of so many great platforms such as WooCommerce, Shopify, and Magento. In general, these platforms do the same thing but their features and compatibility are different enough to merit discussion.
According to the stats, WooCommerce is by far one of the best platforms for digital commerce.
Without a doubt, WooCommerce is the most popular eCommerce plugin for WordPress. It was developed by WooThemes who hired Mike Jolley and James Koster, developers at Jigowatt, to work on a fork of Jigoshop, which later became WooCommerce.
In 2014, Woocof held the first conference in San Francisco with around 300 attendees. This was the start of the popularity of WooCommerce as a popular eCommerce solution for WordPress powered websites.
In 2015, Automattic, the operator of WordPress.com and a core contributor to WordPress acquired WooThemes and WooCommerce.
The best thing about WooCommerce is its tight integration with WordPress. As a result, you do not have to deal with two separate software, and you do not go through the hassle of two separate logins for your website. Because of the underlying foundation of WordPress and it’s own features, WooCommerce users have a complete package that can be further extended by customizations and extensions.
WooCommerce Usage & Stats 2020
WooCommerce is an open-source platform and quite easy to use for both developers and store owners. Take a look at the following stats:
- WooCommerce powers over 28.19% of all online stores
- 3,317,205 live websites are currently using WooCommerce
- 22% of the top 1M ecommerce stores use WooCommerce
- 93.7% of all WordPress ecommerce stores are powered by WooCommerce
- WooCommerce is the most popular plugin/module on the entire internet – with 68% usage distribution
- There are 980 plugins for WooCommerce on WordPress.org alone
- There are 1,267 WooCommerce themes on ThemeForest alone
Benefits of Using WooCommerce
- WooCommerce is very easy to customize
- Millions of themes and plugins available
- Great support for search engine optimization
- Official and third-party extensions
- All processes (particularly the checkout process) is very intuitive
- Secure platform
- Powerful payment gateway options available
- Powerful analytics for tracking sales, purchases, stocks, etc
- A vibrant community means you can ask anything anytime
This article was written by Saud Razzak and originally published on The Official Cloudways Blog.