Did you know that global digital advertising spending was estimated at $441 billion in 2022 and is projected to reach $526 billion by 2024? (Source: Active Campaign)
The digital ad spending worldwide is estimated at $485 billion in 2023.
Nearly $500 billion in digital ads!
That’s a HUGE number, right? Why businesses around the world are spending so much money on digital marketing?
The short answer: it works.
So, if you’re looking for proven digital marketing tips to grow your business, this free guide is just for you.
Let’s jump into the details without much ado.
8 Best Digital Marketing Tips to Grow ANY Business or Website
1. Find the target audience for your website
The FIRST step to get your business or website found online is this: identify your target audience.
In simple words, a target audience is a group of people who’re most likely to be interested in your product or service.
You can create relevant products or services that solve their problems by understanding who you’re trying to reach.
There are MANY factors to consider when defining your target audience, including:
- Demographics (such as age, gender, location, income, and more)
- Their interests, lifestyle, and more
- Behavioral factors (such as their purchase history, social media engagement, and more)
You can use your email lists or run polls (or surveys) to collect all the above data.
Here are some helpful tips for identifying your target audience:
- Be specific: Don’t just say that your target audience is “men aged 25-34.” Instead, be clear about their demographics, interests, and needs.
- Be realistic: Don’t try to target everyone. It’s better to focus on a smaller, more specific audience that you can reach more effectively. Instead of targeting people who’re interested in “fitness,” you can try reaching a smaller group whore interested in “fitness apps.”
- Be flexible: As your website or business grows, your target audience may change. That’s why you should always be prepared to adjust your strategies.
So, what’s the real-life example of a target audience?
For example, if we take a look at our blog’s audience, here’s what their persona looks like;
- Men and women who want to build and grow an online presence
- People who want to grow their search traffic and affiliate sales
- Those who want to start a blog and build a side hustle online
Our blog’s content ONLY revolves around that audience. That’s why our blog generates six figures every year. You can read our blogging journey if you want to find more details.
2. Find relevant keywords
Almost all the businesses have a website.
What’s the SUREFIRE way to get more visitors to your website from search engines like Google?
If you said “SEO (Search Engine Optimization),” you’re right.
When it comes to SEO, keyword research plays a HUGE role. Keyword research is all about finding all the relevant keywords for your website or business.
The best way to find relevant keywords is to use a powerful tool like Semrush.
Semrush is the #1 SEO tool that’s used by 10+ million users worldwide. It offers a specific keyword tool called “Keyword Magic”, that gives you access to over 25 billion keywords.
Yes, you heard it right.
Here’s a quick tutorial on using Semrush’s keyword magic tool to find relevant keywords.
Once you’re on the keyword magic tool on Semrush, enter any topic or keyword phrase.
As you can see above, for our example keyword term, Semrush is suggesting over 15,000 keyword suggestions.
That’s a lot of keywords to work with, right?
With each keyword, you’ll get important metrics like;
- Intent (it shows the purpose of a search in a search engine)
- Volume (total number of searches for a keyword)
- KD% (keyword difficulty shows you how difficult it is to rank for a keyword in Google search)
- CPC (Cost per click is the average price advertisers pay for a user’s click on an ad by a given keyword)
- Competition (competitive the keywords are)
- SF (SERP features such as featured snippets)
If you’re still struggling to come up with great keyword ideas, you can simply use the “Organic Research” tool from Semrush.
Once you’re on the tool, enter any of your competitor’s websites.
Have a look;
And the tool will instantly show you all your competitors’ best keywords.
As you can see above, Semrush is showing that one of our competitors’ (Backlinko.com) is currently ranking for over 98,000 keywords. You can identify any of your competitors’ high-traffic generating keywords.
That way, you’ll know what keywords are actually generating the most amount of traffic from search engines like Google. You can also work on those keywords (or keywords with similar intent) to generate more search traffic to your sites.
All in all, Semrush is the most powerful tool for finding high-quality keywords for any business.
If you’re curious, Semrush is available in the following pricing packages.
- Pro plan costs $108.33 per month, where you can add up to 5 projects, 500 keywords to track, and 10,000 results per report.
- Guru plan costs $208.33 per month, where you can add up to 15 projects, 1500 keywords to track, and 30,000 results per report.
- Business plan costs $416.66 per month, where you can add up to 40 projects, 5000 keywords to track, and 50,000 results per report.
It also offers a 14-day free trial, which you can grab using the following link.
Try Semrush for FREE Today
In case you’re looking for some more tips, check out this FREE guide on how to do keyword research like a pro.
3. Create well-written and engaging content
Content is KING.
Whether you’re running a business, website, or an online store – you need to educate your audience.
The best way to do that is through creating engaging content.
If your content is great, it attracts thousands of visitors to your website from Google (for FREE).
Have a look at the Google search console data of one of our blog posts on MrBeast net worth;
As you can see, the case study on MrBeast generated nearly 6,000 clicks in the last 6 months (around 1,000 visitors a month).
The blog post is successful in terms of traffic because it’s HIGHLY informative and engaging.
Here are some questions to ask yourself before creating content.
- What are their interests?
- What are their pain points?
- What are they looking for in content?
Once you’re done with that, here are a few things you can do to create informative and engaging content for your target audience.
- Create click-worthy headlines: Your headline is the first thing people will see, so make sure it’s attention-grabbing and HIGHLY relevant to your content. You can also use headline generators to quickly come up with solid headline ideas.
- Write clearly: While creating content, it’s important to use simple language that your audience can understand. Avoid technical terms at any cost. Use lots of short sentences and paragraphs while creating content.
- Use lots of visuals: Online readers hate long and boring paragraphs. It’s important to use visuals such as images, infographics, and videos to break up your text and make your content more engaging. Fortunately, there are many tools like Canva that you can use to create stunning visuals.
- Tell stories: Storytelling is the most important thing while creating content. People love stories. That’s why all successful bloggers use stories to connect with their audience. Stories can make your content more relatable and help you with more sales.
- Be personal: Don’t use a corporate writing tone. Make your content personal. Use humor. Be creative. This will make your content more enjoyable to read and easy to understand.
- Engage with your audience: Last but not least, don’t stop communicating with your audience. Ask questions, encourage comments, and respond to feedback. Why? User engagement will ultimately help you build relationships with your audience.
4. Use automation tools
What’s the one thing you MOSTLY need to build a high-traffic website?
You’re right if you said content, SEO, email marketing, etc. Content creation, managing SEO tasks, and email marketing have become much easier.
Thanks to AI tools like ChatGPT, Google Bard, and Jasper AI. You need access to the right automation tools to get things done faster.
Here are some automation tools you can use to save more time and money.
- Jasper AI: This is a powerful AI tool that you can use to create content automatically.
- Semrush: Although it’s an automation tool but can save you a lot of time in many SEO tasks, including keyword ranking tracking, competitor analysis, keyword research, link building, and more.
- Google Bard and ChatGPT: Both these tools are free to use. They can be used to develop content ideas, create a marketing strategy for your business, generate text, create live chatbots, etc.
- Buffer: This is one of the best social media scheduling platforms that can be used to schedule and automate your social media posts.
- ActiveCampaign: This excellent email marketing software gives you access to all the email marketing, marketing automation, and CRM tools you need. We’re using the same to manage our email marketing campaigns.
5. Hire someone
If you don’t have the time or expertise to do digital marketing yourself, hire someone.
Hiring someone or outsourcing most tasks (such as content creation, SEO, email marketing, etc) is a smart investment.
You can either use platforms like Upwork to find freelancers or find a professional who can take care of all things.
There are so many benefits of hiring someone in digital marketing, including;
- Helps you create quality content for your website that is optimized for search engines. This means that your website will rank HIGHER for related keywords for your business.
- Helps you create engaging social media content, which ultimately helps with better engagement with your customers and followers.
- Run PPC campaigns. If you want faster results, paid ads are the best choice. You can hire a professional to handle all kinds of paid ads, including PPC and social media ads.
6. Optimize your website for SEO
One of the effective internet marketing tips is to harness the power of SEO.
Did you know that Google handles over 1.2 trillion searches every year?
What does it mean? No matter your industry, you’ll face massive competition in Google search results.
The blog you’re currently reading generates nearly 100,000 visits every single month.
Look at our blog’s clicks from Google Search in the past 28 days.
That’s over 3300 visitors every single day.
That’s a HUGE number considering the fact that we’re in a highly crowded niche like “make money online.”
Our blog gets so much search traffic because of proper website optimization.
In case you’re curious, here are THREE website optimization techniques we use on our blog to grow our search traffic.
Optimize for keywords: Keyword research is one part and optimization is another part.
When you optimize your website for keywords, you tell search engines what your website is ALL about. Proper keyword optimization will help your website rank higher in search results for relevant keywords.
For example, we use Semrush to identify relevant keywords for our blog posts.
Once we’ve identified these keywords, we include those keywords in titles, headers, body content, and images. We optimize our content naturally by using a variety of similar keywords (instead of stuffing the same keyword repeatedly).
We recommend you try a content optimization plugin like Rank Math, which helps you optimize better.
Speed up your website: Nobody likes a slow website, as it can frustrate visitors and lead them to abandon your site.
Did you know that 53% of mobile users will leave a website if it takes more than three seconds to load? (Source: Think With Google).
Here are a few things you can do to speed up your website;
- Using a content delivery network (CDN)
- Optimizing your images before uploading them onto your website
- Caching and lazyloading your website’s content by using plugins like WP Rocket
At BloggersPassion, we use a faster web hosting provider called WPX that uses an in-built CDN to deliver content from servers closer to visitors. This ultimately helps to improve the overall page loading times.
Create an effortless mobile experience: More and more people are using their mobile devices to access the internet. In fact, over 55% of website traffic comes from mobile devices.
If you want to reach these mobile users, you need to create an effortless mobile experience.
What does it mean? This means making sure your website is easy to navigate and read on a smartphone or tablet.
Our blog, BloggersPassion, has a dedicated mobile-friendly version that is optimized for mobile screens. It includes a simplified navigation bar and larger text that makes it easy for users to read our blog’s content from any smartphone.
In case you’re curious, here’s how our blog’s mobile version looks like;
As you can see above, the website is properly loading on the mobile device. The screen automatically adjusts to device type (such as tablet, PC, mobile, etc).
7. Create a Business Profile on Google
Google Business Profile (formerly Google My Business) is a FREE tool from Google that allows small business owners to promote their business information on Google Search and Google Maps.
Here’s what it looks like (when you search for a business on Google);
Some of the benefits of creating a Google Business Profile for your business are;
- Increased visibility as Google business listings can appear in Google Search and Maps when people search for your business
- It helps your target customers to find your business information, such as your business hours, address, phone number, website, and photos.
- It lets your customers leave reviews, ask questions, and get directions to your business
- Above all, it’s a free tool that is available to businesses of all sizes
Here’s a quick tutorial on setting up your business profile on Google My Business.
- Sign in to your Google Account or create one if you don’t have it yet.
- Go to Google Business Profile to create your business profile on Google.
- Enter the name of your business
- Search for your business category
- Select whether you have a location customers can visit
- Enter the service area (location) of your business
- Enter a phone number and website URL and finish the process
That’s it; you’re now ready to roll!
8. Try SMS marketing
Gone are the days when you can rely upon email marketing to reach customers.
You can try SMS marketing to reach millions of people worldwide.
If you’re NOT aware yet, SMS marketing refers to promotion done by SMS messages.
According to SimpleTexting.com, over 70% of consumers opted in to receive texts from businesses in the last year. It is a 12% year-over-year growth in opt-in rates.
Here’s another surprising fact: around 55% of those SMS subscribers subscribed to businesses for the following reasons;
- To receive shipping notifications
- To get special offers and promo codes
- Time-sensitive updates
- Personalized discounts
So, if you’re planning to run extra discounts and special promo codes through your business, SMS marketing is an essential tool for you.
Here are some quick tips for using SMS marketing like a pro.
- Abandoned cart reminders: You can send special discount codes or offers to persuade people who’ve added items to their cart (but haven’t purchased yet).
- You can send an SMS for surveys
- Follow-ups: You can use SMS for sending order and shipping status updates
- Review requests: You can also use SMS to take feedback from your customers for the products they’ve bought and ask for a review.
Limit the number of SMS texts you send to your target customers. Less is always more. As a rule of thumb, two or three SMS messages per week are usually enough for most businesses.
FAQs on digital marketing tips and tricks
Here are some of the frequently asked questions on digital marketing.
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is using all digital channels to create and promote a business, website, or product. It includes a wide range of channels, such as search engine optimization, social media marketing, email marketing, paid advertising, content marketing, etc.
Why is digital marketing important for businesses?
Digital marketing is important for businesses because it allows them to reach a wider audience at an affordable price.
What are the different types of digital marketing?
There are many different types of digital marketing, including;
– Content marketing
– SMS marketing
– Paid ads
– Social media marketing
What are the best tools for digital marketers?
Here are some of the best digital marketing tools to use in 2023;
– Semrush (helpful for all SEO tasks)
– Jasper (for content creation)
– Rank Math (for content optimization)
Where can I learn Digital Marketing skills?
The best way to learn digital marketing is to start a blog or YouTube channel. There are many blogs and YouTube channels that teach you digital marketing. But you need a platform (such as a blog) to implement everything you learn.
Final thoughts on digital marketing best practices
The best part about digital marketing is that it works for almost every online business.
To get the most out of online marketing is to understand your audience’s needs and serve what they want.
So what are your thoughts on the digital marketing best practices shared here? Have any questions? Let us know in the comments.
Keep reading the article at BloggersPassion: Learn Blogging & SEO from Anil Agarwal. The article was originally written by Anil Agarwal on 2023-09-05 03:50:20.
The article was hand-picked and curated for you by the Editorial Team of WP Archives.