There’s no denying that content works best when it’s segmented and personalized. And for WordPress site owners, the best way to achieve that might be to use geotargeting.
Geotargeting WP is a suite of plugins that lets you target content and offers based on the location of your visitors. From specific cities to country-wide geotargeting, it can help you map your content to specific audiences based on a variety of rules and variables.
So if you’re looking to promote an ecommerce product, affiliate offer, or anything else to a distributed audience, Geotargeting WP should come in handy.
But how easy is it to set up and use? What are some notable features of this geotargeting plugin? Find out the answers in this extensive hands-on review of Geotargeting WP.
Geotargeting WP Overview
Geotargeting WP gives you various methods for geotargeting posts, pages, and other content. For instance, you can geotarget:
- Partial content using shortcodes
- Regions (i.e., group of cities, states, or countries)
- Menu items and widgets
- Lots of other content using documented PHP functions and hooks
The plugin also has many other features:
- Show or hide products based on culture, regional preferences, or local climate
- Geotarget ads to increase campaign and advertising effectiveness
- Redirect visitors to different versions of your site based on their location
- Integrate a widget that lets visitors manually choose their location (in case they want to override geotargeting)
- Auto detect real IP even if your visitors are using Sucuri, CloudFlare, etc.
- Use your own database through IP2Location, MaxMind, or WP Engine GeoIP (optional)
- Works with caching plugins (W3 Total Cache, WP Super Cache, etc.)
- Integrates with EDD and WooCommerce
Hands-On With Geotargeting WP
After reading about its features, I installed and extensively tested Geotargeting WP on a staging site to determine whether it’s solid enough to recommend. TLDR: Geotargeting WP is an excellent tool for getting the right eyeballs on your content —and it’s ideal if you’re new to geotargeting.
To start using the plugin:
- Sign up for a Geotargeting WP plan (see pricing section for more details)
- Open your Geotargeting WP account and find your API Key.
- Download the plugin to your computer.
- Open your WordPress admin and click Plugins > Add New and upload the .zip files for the plugins.
- Once the installation completes, go to Geotargeting WP > Settings to configure some basic settings.
In the Settings menu for Geotargeting WP, make sure to configure the Cache Mode.
Cache Mode enables you to save
This article was written by Team WPLift and originally published on Learn WordPress with WPLift.