Deciding between Rank Math vs. Yoast?
Like most people, I switched from Yoast to Rank Math because it has more features with less bloat (it made my site slightly faster website). And Rank Math is free unless you want analytics.
Most people in Facebook Groups are also using Rank Math as their SEO plugin.
Rank Math’s setup wizard made it super easy to migrate all Yoast’s SEO data (including redirects) to Rank Math, without having to worry about a drop in rankings. Once complete, I was able to delete multiple plugins since Rank Math includes redirects, image SEO, and schema.
Rank Math doesn’t have an affiliate program at the moment, so there is nothing to gain by saying one is better than the other. But when it comes to Rank Math vs. Yoast, Rank Math is better because it has more features with less bloat. Go here if you’re ready to make the switch.
Rank Math may have compatibility issues with Oxygen Builder, so if you’re using that, I recommend checking out SEOPress.
1. Why I Switched To Rank Math
I switched from Yoast SEO Premium to Rank Math in early 2020 because:
- Yoast is bloated – it was one of the slowest loading plugins on my website (you can check your slowest plugins using the Query Monitor plugin or New Relic).
- Yoast has too many ads – you had to install the Hide SEO Bloat plugin to remove the incredible amount of advertisements Yoast adds inside your WP dashboard.
- Yoast didn’t have a great way to add schema – beyond HowTo and FAQ schema, I don’t believe Yoast let you add other schema types (reviews, recipes, etc). I personally found schema in Yoast confusing, so I used another schema plugin.
- Yoast didn’t add alt text to images – you had to install an image SEO plugin or add alt attributes manually every single time you added an image to a page/post.
- Yoast made you pay for a redirect manager – considering how many free redirect plugins there are, it’s amazing something so simple wasn’t included.
- Yoast Premium wasn’t worth $89/year – the premium features don’t even improve SEO. Instead, it gives you things like content insights and internal link suggestions which any knowledgable SEO person wouldn’t have to use anyway. The support from Yoast was rumored to do little in terms of personalized help.
2. Rank Math vs Yoast – Features
Rank Math has more features than Yoast and Yoast SEO Premium.
Most key features are highlighted in my Yoast vs. Rank Math comparison, but here’s the full table if you want an in-depth look at how each one’s features stack up. Rank Math has incorporated a few extra features not even included with Yoast SEO Premium like automatic image alt attributes, more advanced schema markup, better analytics, and of course, less bloat.
This article was written by Tom Dupuis and originally published on Tom Dupuis.